Saturday, August 29, 2009

Moving Time!

This is going to be one of those quick posts because it is 5 a.m and I haven't actually slept in my bed yet. I'm done packing and I leave for New York in 4 hours. Can you believe it? I can't. Today was my last day of work at McKeldin Library and it went by pretty fast. People brought food, we partied (as only librarians can) and I got a cool Testudo beer glass and an awesome sweater no one has claimed in the two years I've been at the library. I'd say a good day all in all.

But on to the awesomeness...I start at SPIN Magazine on Monday. Yes, this Monday and yes, that SPIN Magazine. Now there are pros and cons to this and I'm sure I'll catch flack for taking an unpaid internship, but sometimes you've gotta do, what you've gotta do. It's a great opportunity and aside from being paid zilch I'm extremely excited, but confident. I had to complete a writing test last week in less than 24 hours and it was an annoyingly vague assignment, but I did it. I'm going to include it below since I'm so proud of it and no one will probably ever read it between SPIN's pages.

Ahhh! I'm moving! :) I don't know when or if it will ever fully set in. The car is packed with an obscene amount of my stuff and I'm ready to go. My only hope is that I don't have to move again for at least two years. I'm so tired of moving from place to place. I'm ready to settle in for a while and just enjoy as my life unfolds.

Here's the piece I wrote for SPIN. The assignment was to write about the band I thought was most important to SPIN.com right now and why. I think I did a pretty good job. :)

Kings of the World

By Adaora Otiji

Summer is all about concerts, fun and freedom. The season wouldn’t be complete without the sweat that comes from moving, intoxicated, to your favorite band as they own the stage and make every cent you paid for your ticket worthwhile.

In the past few months many bands have graced stages across the U.S., but the one that captivates SPIN has fast become Nashville’s Kings of Leon. It seems almost impossible to escape the repetitive croon of “Use Somebody,” as the Kings command radio airwaves and sell out amphitheatres around the world. The band’s unavoidable and unforgettable electric indie sound has helped them to gain a fervent and ever growing concert fan base.

Until their 2008 album, Only by the Night, Kings of Leon received praise in Europe, but failed to reach the same success in the U.S. The album catapulted the quartet to stardom, winning their first Grammy for the single “Sex On Fire,” two BRIT Awards for “Best International Group” and “Best International Album,” and an NME award for “Album of the Year,” all in 2009 alone.

Kings of Leon haven’t slowed since their 2003 debut album, Youth and Young Manhood, and the summer has brought a plethora of possibilities for the band. The fuel of “Sex On Fire’s” static guitar rhythm and raspy vocals has landed them sold out headlining tours, a spot on Saturday Night Live and, most recently, a stop on their North American tour at Chicago’s Lollapalooza alongside music legends Jane’s Addiction and Depeche Mode.

After years of working to be noticed, accepted and respected in the U.S., the Kings of Leon finally have it all, for now, while the world waits with bated breath for another amazing album.

No comments:

Post a Comment